Mediterranean Science Team
MEDNIGHT, the Mediterranean Research Women’s Night, includes among its activities the selection of the Mediterranean Science Team and the grand Gala at which the 11 chosen scientists of the Team will be presented to the public, and the media.
With the Mediterranean Science Team, MEDNIGHT seeks unity through science for 23 countries bordering the same sea.
The Mediterranean is a common character for 500 million inhabitants of three continents. Sharing common problems, such as climate change, forces us to generate large-scale solutions that can only be realised if we work together.
Common problems, joint solution
The Mediterranean Science Team will be composed of 11 scientists doing research in countries of the Mediterranean basin.
The Mediterranean Science Team will be a reflection of science with a human face to seek solutions to these common problems of the 23 Mediterranean countries.
The Science Team is a symbol, with which we want to bring the relevance of science to the general public. For this reason, we formed a team of 11 “players”, like football teams. Each member of the Mediterranean Science Team will receive a T-shirt, similar to those of the football players, at the Gala where they will be presented to the public
The scientists in the Science Team will be those who have contributed most notably to the knowledge and/or development of strategies to address problems shared by the countries of the Mediterranean basin or whose research makes an important contribution to the future projection of the Mediterranean countries.
The team will also be open to researchers whose scientific work has been internationally recognised as being of the highest level. In this way, it will help to visualise cutting-edge scientific development in the region as an unquestionable strategy for the future.
The international relevance of the research, the fact that it has been developed by a multidisciplinary team and that its application can be extended to all the countries of the Mediterranean basin will be taken into account.
The research areas especially valued are those of interest to MEDNIGHT:
•Climate and clean energy. Scientists whose research provides relevant solutions to address desertification, water management, CO2 removal, clean energy, etc. will be especially valued to be part of the Mediterranean Science Team.
• Sea and pollution. Scientists whose research provides relevant solutions against marine pollution will be especially valued to be part of the EMC.
• Diet and nutrition. The Mediterranean diet has been declared Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO. Scientists whose research favours the development of healthy foods for a Mediterranean diet through the use of emerging technologies will be especially valued.
• Life and health: It will highlight research into wellness in health and longevity.
Applications to join the Mediterranean Science TeamApplications to join the Mediterranean Science Team should be made through the following channels:
• First selection by the organisers of the Mediterranean Science Team activity, based on the “h-index” and other tools to determine the influence of a scientist’s discoveries throughout his or her professional career.
• Applications will be solicited from scientific institutions in Mediterranean countries as well as MEDNIGHT partners.The Mediterranean Science Team will involve the scientific institutions and universities, which are called upon to nominate scientists.
Voting by an international jury
Once the list of candidates has been drawn up, the 11 scientists of the Mediterranean Science Team will be chosen by a jury of internationally renowned science experts.
In their evaluation, the members of the jury shall take into account the following criteria:
• Relevance of their research to society
• International projection of their work
• Importance of making their work visible, with special attention to women scientists.
• Exceptionality in what they investigate
The media in the 23 Mediterranean countries will receive information about the selection members, their biographies and areas of research.
The Science Team Gala
The 11 scientists selected by the jury were presented at a gala-homage, in person and with streaming. The selected scientists and members of the jury will be invited to the gala and will explain in person the research they have carried out.
The gala, with a similar vocation to the film galas, takes place in a playful environment with a reception for the scientists, a photocall and the proposal of interviews for the media.
On the day of the gala, a press conference will be held to present the selected artists.
During the gala, the 11 T-shirts will be handed out, which, like those of a football team, will identify the excellent members of the Mediterranean Science Team.
The Science Team is an original QUO magazine activity for Mednight.